Cultural Food from food to culture. From culture to food
- 1999 - 527 pages - 1 Volumes
- Auteurs : Antonio Guerci (ed.)
- Edition : Erga edizioni
- Collection : Biblioteca di ethnomedicina
- Langues : Anglais, Français, Italien
- Mot-clés : Ethnomédecine, Nutrition
To eat is to classify the natural environment in what can and what cannot be eaten ; and, within what can be eaten, to separate edible from not edible food. This means that we subscribe, ever from childhood, the rules of our culture, adhering to the typical system of living things, reframed however within a cultural landscape. To eat is to take ones place within a social context full of words, symbols, metaphors, explicit rules and implicit evidences, within a reality strictly built by a specific culture, a specific society, and a specific time.